Thursday, June 25, 2009

a state of geek

I got to hear Hall Davidson speak (teach) today in Flagler County. I always learn new things from him. He showed some Google Lit Trips and demonstrated how to embed photos and videos on Google Earth. He did some other neat tricks with green screens in Photobooth and iMovie. What's not to love, right? Afterward I overheard a teacher complaining that she certainly didn't get anything out of that! Huh? Well why not I wanted to ask, but it soon became apparent. She was infected with the whiny attitude that I see so often. Instead of getting excited about the possibilities they fear that they will have to learn something new or maybe they fear that they can't learn anything new. I fight that mindset a lot. Embrace it people. Find your geek. Get your geek on. Geek out. I swear you will like it if you can let go of the fear.

2 comments:

Alyson and Ford said...

She was infected with the whiny attitude that I see so often. Instead of getting excited about the possibilities they fear that they will have to learn something new or maybe they fear that they can't learn anything new. I fight that mindset a lot.

Wow...that is so true and unfortunately, so common. Countless times I would hear complaints of how things need to change and then listen to the very same people complain about being forced to "change".
Happy you had a good time!
peace
fm

Cara said...

Word to the nerds!