Sunday, June 13, 2010

red-tail fox

I held a red-tail fox pup today for about a half hour as we tried to find someone to help him. The poor little thing was weak and dehydrated and who knows what else. Not rabid hopefully. He wasn't aggressive or foaming at the mouth so I wrapped him in a towel and started making phone calls. Evidently some kids found him beside the road on their way to the lake. They left him at the boat ramp I guess because they thought he had a better chance of surviving there than on the road. He would have been a gator morsel by dark. I saw him as we were bringing the boat in. I was so awe struck by the experience that I didn't even think to take a picture. We ended up leaving him at a fire station to wait for his rescuers. I don't think the chief was real happy about his roll in this rescue but at least he didn't say no. I didn't want to bring him home but he was an awesome animal - even sick.